Thursday, January 15, 2009
Coraline
So you have probably see me link to things about Neil Gaiman and his books more than a couple of times. If you weren't aware, he's a writer who I love. I think he's fabulous and I think his writing is fabulous. He write a book some years ago called Coraline, and it's a children's book. If you feel like reading children's books is below you, well, I think that's silly. Good stories are good stories, no matter what reading level they may be most easily identified with. That was a terrible sentence, but luckily, Gaiman's writing is a million times better than mine. Really the only thing that makes Coraline a children's book is that it's short and about a young girl. Anyway, Coraline has been made into a stop-motion movie of the same name and is coming out the first Friday in February (I think the 6th). There's a website for the movie that has all sorts of interactive things. If you don't have the patience for poking around the website, I recommend you hit up the official videos on YouTube. There's a trailer, videos about how they made the movie, and even a silly stop motion video of a mustache dancing. I can't wait for the movie to come out.
In the past, Gaiman has persuaded his publisher to put a free digital copy of some of his adult-length books on the website for a limited length of time and he's done it again. This way if you want to read the book before the movie, you can. For free! Even if you don't think you'll go see the movie, I recommend the book. It's delighfully creepy. That widget above should take you to the site where you can read Coraline for free on your computer. Or, if it's not working for some reason, just follow this handy link and you'll be able to click on a "browse inside" button to accomplish the same thing.
Enjoy!